Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sorry...This Boat is Going Off Line....



It's has been quite the journey.

This experiment started back on February 7th, 2010 after a suggestion by the former manager at Aquabus. 'You should do a blog......call it 'in the center of it all...'

At the time, I didn't know what a vivid, memorable experience working during the Winter Olympics would be.

As I recorded my own daily experiences, it help make sense of what we at Aquabus were experiencing as a separate unique entity within this massive event that swallowed our city for two weeks.

As the daily exercise of observing, taking notes, forming ideas to encapsulate each unfolding day, became routine - it was a large part of the sense of sadness that I felt the day after it was all finally over.

What am I going to do now?

The original purpose of this blog, to record the experience of the Winter Olympics from our perspective on the creek, was over.

Or was it? In effect, this daily routine has developed my writing muscle, and forever changed how I observed life unfolding before me.

Now a regular day was a series of unending questions, puzzles and challenges.

All just there to piece together into a running commentary on the daily soap opera of serving people crossing the creek, and working beside people right across the spectrum of life.

And I loved it.


So I carried on, recording the unfolding life and drama that I witnessed since February 2010.

I had already met Micheal Buble and Matt Lauer, been to see an international ice hockey game during the Olympics, and met literally thousands of visitors from around the world each sharing a small snippet of themselves.


Now I told of how I met female recording artist: Colbie Caillat - she seemed a bit nervous of me. (I wonder why?)

Then I how I shared a laugh and joke with one of the legends that helped the Canucks get to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1994: Kirk McClean.

And who can forget the summer of Shamrock Love, meeting and working with some of the loveliest Irish girls last year?

Like heading downtown to celebrate the one year anniversary of those  infamous games, its all been fun, fun, fun.

As I wrote each entry it was adding to the long, long letter of love and reverence I felt for this little company.

I can honestly say Aquabus helped changed my life.

When I came aboard, I was at a time of my life when I needed to challenge myself and increase my own confidence.

Without doubt, if I hadn't fallen into being a deckhand, I wouldn't have taken up the challenge to put together a 30 minute historic tour of False Creek.

I wouldn't have been in the position to give up to 8 tours a day abroad the Rainbow Hunter.

It was these busy days that built up the confidence and ease to deal with people on a constant basis.

This opportunity to re-invent myself between 2004 - 06, allowed me the confidence to walk into my practicum site and show a different way to approach at risk youth.

With humor tempered with respect and clear behavioral expectations.


I literally walked the halls of this alternative school, as if I was setting out from Granville Island with a boatload of 22 passengers. Hey! Lets have some fun today!

Unfortunately, I sense this chronicle of life at Aqubus has reached full circle.

Due to my other commitments as a father, and the uncertainty of my future as a Youth Worker in my current placement, I will no longer be able to continue this blog.

I will like to thank Geoff and Margo Pratt for all the opportunities they have given me, which I have recorded here.

I still love you both very much.

One of the loveliest compliments I have ever received from Geoff is recorded that last night of the games:

'I hug Jody and give Uncle Ray a peek on the cheek and slip out with Geoff and Margo....who drop me off on Sassy Street - Sassy after we moved into the 'hood! On the way I have to say I am touched when I thank Geoff for having me aboard and he said '...you know, I would come down to the dock, and see you in action working the crowds and just feel proud that was one of my employees...' 

I hope I can still be of service to you in the future. Best wishes to Jake - I hope you get better Jesmond!

And of course, to Jody it goes without saying........

If you stumble upon this site - I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures during 2010 to 2011. If you want more, be sure to catch up with me at my other blog:


peaacccceeeeee out sisters

The Limey





1 comment:

  1. Sad to see this blog go...I have enjoyed it while it lasted! Best to you in your new and on-going adventures!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, please leave a comment if you choose. I hope you enjoy reading my musings, and leave comments in the same spirit as intended. No offense is intended.