
He wore an expensive cut jacket, probably in soft lamb, which matched his precise goatee covering puckered cheeks. But as he minced past me on the way onto GI, I knew that steely side stare screamed 'WTF!' all be it very quietly. Hey Mr. Eric 'Will & Baste' McCormick, so wot if I'm in my Canada Day work helmet and red socks: I'm a celebrity round here don't you know?
Working on the dock, you'd think I was wearing buck cheeked chaps without me jocks on underneath. Is wearing our beloved Maple Leaf as a cape really so provocative to cause one customer to tell Jordan, deckhanding across to Hornby Street:
'What's with the guy wearing the flag? They should put him in a straight jacket and walk him off the island!'
Wot? Gear down big rig! Maybe looking like a clown unleashed his coulrophobia.....jackass!
It's raining on the dock, and I am helped in my attempt to lighten the mood by the lovely Rachel. She throws a tricolor from the old country over her shoulder as well. Bubbly, funny and with the cutest smile which would make any judge say 'I believe you', she is one of the infamous girls of Eire. I'm sure when August 25th rolls around, We will all calling Jody in panic mode saying 'They're gone - what now!'
What now indeed, but life rolls on. Just remember, they're here to have fun and if we can have a few giggles along the way: lucky for us. They give us the gift of reminding us old gits that life is to short, and we used to be just as exuberant and bursting with raw, wide eyed youthfulness when we were their age. The secret is to be respectful at all times - however much is consumed on a messy night at the backstage - where they still feel safe, and leave our presence without basically feeling creeped out!
A job which John S. and I take very, very seriously of course....
And now, Ladies and Gentleman, its time once again for:
DES REID'S Celebrity Watch on GI.......
I wasn't born with these radar ears for nothing. Although John can't believe that I can recognize a celebrity from 15 feet away - just by hearing their voice, I knew a former Canuck celeb when I hear one. The man who stood on his head as the goalie for Vancouver Canucks in the 94 series against those pesky Rangers, was sitting on the patio at the Arts Club having a great time. So when Kirk McClean passed us, we had to give him a shout.

Des asks: What would happen if the Limey and Kirk went on a boys weekend to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico together?
What a gentleman, he was approachable and laughing away with us. For some reason, which I can't fathom now, his lovely female friend pointed out where else he has abundant follicles on his body. All we do know is that Kirk self declared to our collective mirth, that he has hairy toes as well!
Kirk McClean: you are a true gent, one of B.C's best and deserving of DR's celebrity sighting of the day!!
Before I sign off, a shout out to my good friend Jake. The other day he was looking forlorn at the back dock. It seems he was having a losing battle with a belligerent engine, and he just looked done. To my surprise, I found him later in the Arts Club, having a much needed break as suggested. I mentioned that my own lads would just love to work at AB - it would be the perfect first job for them in their teens. How can you not feel that this young men is class supreme when he said: 'Of course! Any kid of yours is my kids!' Love that man!
And on that happy note, I sign off for now. Until next time:
peeeaaacccceeeeee out sisters!

You..... are awesome! J.
ReplyDelete