Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Thorny State of Cultural Aversity.....

I had an encounter last week which as been bugging me ever since. Its even more focused in my mind as today is the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy in New York, where I had just visited in July. So, to say I have pondering this specific, brief encounter is an understatement as is it is ripe with multiple interpretation and meanings. Especially since the world literally changed for us all regardless of our nationality and cultural make up.on that tragic stark sunny day.


It was Sunday 4th September. The last weekend before the kids head back to school after Labor Day. The weather being good meant it was busy at GI. Deck-handing on Cquabus III and, I was trying to get into that developed routine of prompting customers by announcing fare prices, then collecting for 30 passengers within that very short 4 minute ride between stations. A competent Deck-hand can do this, if they hustle and uses every second available. I just was managing (despite being called 5 times within 10 minutes when the SPCA wanted me to talk about adopting a cat!)


So, I am into a routine and loving the synchronicity of it all: between the revolving line before me and the rhythm of the exchange.  But, all it takes is that one customer, that one customer who wants more information, or wasn't paying attention, who slows you down enough just to get out of that balance you can develop on a really good day.


I come before two women. A mother with her adult daughter, who had an infant in a stroller. They were both Middle Eastern, the Grandmother wearing a full one piece dress, covering her head to feet, her face open. Her daughter, vibrant, young and attractive had her hair covered in a scarf. I asked her for the two fares: $6.50 in total. She held her handout, open with a Tooney, a dime and pennies and looked me straight in the eye. I asked again and she tilled her head ever so slightly to the right, her almond eyes widened displaying confusion. We stood in silence together, locked at that point before it proceeded to awkwardness. I decided to move on, get the other fares. By this time we came into GI, Jody ready to get the next group on. I was determined to get that fare - I got out the equivalnet fare in cash. 'I need this'. The Grandmother smiled and stated again: 'No English'. Her daughter ignoring me now and conversing in Arabic or Farsi with her mother.


I heard of this situation before, but chose to disbelief it. I didn't want want to think that there was the sense that in other cultures, it was accepted to chance your hand and not pay what was expected. Fundamentally, it would seriously undermine our acceptance and tolerance of others in our causal day to day encounters.  In my mind, if that had happened to me, I was confident that I would be determined enough to get that money regardless. Yet, here was that very situation before me, with Jody telling me to get back on board and he would deal with it himself. It is frustrating because we live in a society which is renowned for its tolerance of other cultures. I know from my own past, living in London that I remember groups of white 14 year old kids ganging together and waiting for Indian and Pakistani kids to pounce on them.


My England had a dark belly of discrimination and hate towards those of different skin colour. However, one of the qualities I admire and gain pride from being a Canadian is Canada's live and let live attitude. (It is not perfect, working with First Nation kids and having any minutiae knowledge of this countries history shows that.) Yet, being destined from what one character in the film 'The Commitments' self termed  the 'Blacks of Europe' or the Irish, I have a developed sense of 'fair play' which certainly isn't perfect being skewed and prejudiced by life experience. I still debate about my own views towards wealthy white South Africans - especially those who emigrated abroad after 1994.


It's just having that sense we all have, that gut feeling when we know. We know that we are being played, that the biggest lie is that one that is the most blatant. She looked me right in the eye and she chose to simply lie. Jody said she gave him just over $2 and let it go. Which in itself, is a very Canadian thing to do. Its the undermining of that sense of fair play, of that general common acceptance and of payment for something received. What makes me frustrated is that she represents a national and cultural group which continues to be viewed negatively, especially since 9/11 and with nutters like Pastor Terry Jones ready to burn the Koran. (Jesus what next?).


Which is why I took this so personally.

Why, would you pretend that you didn't understand? I could have been wrong, but I just can't shake the sense she did know English. It's one person, a couple who really don't give a damn and yet we say one person can make a difference. Then, do the right thing: make me belief you really are like me and you.  Who want, what we all cherish for our children, a community where trust and respect is paramount to a good and decent life. I understand there is a lot of history of mistrust and hate in the Middle East and for good reason. I am painting very broad strokes, yet it is our own personal encounters and experience of our places that colour our perception of reality.


Because those two customers were  a visible part of that general ethnic group, you do so much more damage to the greater universe by pulling shit like that. Yes, others do it, but the heightened sense of emotion, between our two cultures means we all need to work harder to bring harmony and understanding between us.


On both sides.....


peeeaaaaccceeeee out sisters.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, please leave a comment if you choose. I hope you enjoy reading my musings, and leave comments in the same spirit as intended. No offense is intended.