Sunday, October 10, 2010

Look Around: There's Plenty to be Thankful for!

Happy Thanksgiving!

And theres plenty to be thankful for if you live here....I'm reminded of how important friends are when, just before I returned back to my other job as a Youth Worker, I was a little dour heading into the office at Aquabus one day. I was brooding as the school I work at is being 'amal - gamated' with other at risk program's in the next year or so. As the summer season was coming to end, it heralded my return to an uncertain future, which working along the creek had happily displaced for a good while. I was walking down to the GI dock with Jody and Geoff. Seeing me so quiet (for a change!) Geoff simply put his arm around my shoulder saying 'It's going to be alright Des'. The smallest gesture at the most acute moment can mean so much. It meant so much to me, and why I respect him so much.


It is now a good opportunity to also give a shout out to one of my longest followers, who apparently reads my posts without fail. James is the manager at the premier chocolate stall 'ChocolaTas' (I think this is the place!) in the GI market. He was the one who had the good sense to employ one of the infamous Irish girls 'Elaine' this summer. At the end of the week, he would drop by with some of those delicious choc covered Strawberries on his way home. A truer gent you could ever meet, he was as generous with his complements as with his choice confectionery.

Apparently, it will be around about now that the Aquabus limited edition Chocolate Collection tins will be arriving. I need to get one for my Aquabus collection in the MOD II. (That would be the Museum oDes 2.....where all my choice collections are stored. I am the (un)official curator of Aquabus historical artifacts......every great corporation has a record of its past......).

The Irish girls are gone, but definitely not forgotten. I know Adam has already booked his ticket to Dublin for Christmas. But from the looks of things, it hasn't been all plain sailing since Elaine got back home. Seems she boxed someone in with her car and got this 'delightful' note on her windscreen. Nice touch with the printed flowers though.....

Anyhoo, the season has definitively changed, so right now, I'm out of the loop with all things GI. Big Kev is out on the boats again up north, Jody hasn't returned my calls (probably because I am still struggling composing those mini biographies of our drivers for the company website. A task I've worked on since August....although I have written 18 of them). Uncle Ray is probably awaiting the news magazine I bring to him each month, and Siobhan still hasn't responded since that lock-in......so really it's life as per!

For me, my adventures continue on my other blog: desreid.ca. Really, the perfect training for dealing with customers on the creek in the silly season, is a week away with 15 active teenagers in the middle of the Cariboo......buts that's another story.....

Still writing those bio's Jody......


In the meantime.....

peeeaaaaccceee out sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, please leave a comment if you choose. I hope you enjoy reading my musings, and leave comments in the same spirit as intended. No offense is intended.