If you're one of the 'many' followers of this blog, you'll know that inspiration struck when an idea hit head on with the juggernaut that was the Winter Olympics in our great city last year. Paul said do a blog and on the games through my eyes.....
But it is easy to forget that this whirlwind also swept through Whistler as well. Last week, I was very fortunate to spent some time there last week.
I went to the Callaghan Valley to do some cross country skiing with my son. Located 20 kilometers from Whistler, and nine kms from highway 99, the Whistler Olympic Park cost $120 million to built, It was the venue that hosted the biathlon, cross-country, and ski jumping events.
It has been an emotional draining year working in my job as a Youth worker. We seem to have a significant number of kids at risk to themselves through self medication, drinking and partying. It was the only the week before the spring break that I felt I had reached my own emotional limits. (And it took someone saying 'This tea is watery....' but that's another story!).
So getting away, under blue skies on pristine, gloomed snow with my eldest son, really brought home how important the shared experience and of being together is so important in a child's social development. We didn't say much at times, but at the end of a day of skiing, falls and laughs we both left happy.
For me, it was especially gratifying to have that sense of contentment and some inner peace for a change.
And for just being there, spending some good times hanging out with my son.......
peeaaaaacceeeeee out sisters.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Hi, please leave a comment if you choose. I hope you enjoy reading my musings, and leave comments in the same spirit as intended. No offense is intended.